Sunday, November 29, 2009

LIST: NY Times Notable Books 2009


The New York Times most notable books for 2009 has been released. Here's the link to the most recent list, and past years. There are another fifty books or so from the nonfiction list, but I didn't retype all of them out! There were a few on the nonfiction side that intrigued me though. I have read 3 of the books this year, bolded, and there are a few others I'd like to read, italicized, but I haven't heard of most of them at all.
Have you read any of these? Any recommendations or warnings?

  1. Amatuer Barbarians by Robert Cohen
  2. American Rust by Philipp Meyey
  3. The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker
  4. The Art Student's War by Brad Leithauser
  5. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzuchelli
  6. Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon
  7. Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It by Maile Meloy
  8. The Case Book of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd
  9. Chronic City by Johnathan Letham
  10. The Confessions of Edward Day by Valerie Martin
  11. Dearest Creature by Amy Grestler
  12. Do Not Deny Me: Stories by Jean Thompson
  13. Don't Cry:Stories by Mary Gaitskill
  14. Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada
  15. Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower
  16. Family Album by Penelope Lively
  17. Follow Me by Joanna Scott
  18. A Gate at the Stairs by Lorri Moore
  19. Generosity: An Enhancement by Richard Powers
  20. Half- Broke Horses: A True Life Novel by Jeannette Walls
  21. How It Ended: New and Collected Stories by Jay McInerney
  22. In Other Rooms, In Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin
  23. Invisible by Paul Auster
  24. Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi by Geoff Dyer
  25. The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
  26. Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips
  27. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
  28. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
  29. Love and Obstacles: Stories by Aleksander Hemon
  30. Love and Summer by William Trevor
  31. The Museum of Innocence by Orham Pamuk
  32. My Father's Tears: And Other Stories by John Updike
  33. Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazou Ishiguro
  34. Nothing Right: Short Stories by Antonya Nelson
  35. Once the Shore: Stories by Paul Yoon
  36. One DOA, One on the Way by Mary Robison
  37. Sag Harbour by Colson Whitehead
  38. A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert
  39. The Sky Below by Stacey D'Arasmo
  40. The Song is You by Arthur Phillips
  41. Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro
  42. Typhoon by Charles Cumming
  43. A Village Life by Louise Gluck
  44. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
  45. The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

4 comments:

  1. I have the Nicholson Baker book, but haven't read it yet--I heard him speak and read from it this fall, and it sounded great. Kate Walbert's A Short History of Women was amazing; Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned was pretty good; I really want to read the Valerie Martin book, because I love her other novels, especially Property. Lorrie Moore is always worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have only read one of these (The Little Stranger) - I need to read more newly published books, obviously. I'm surprised Her Fearful Symmetry wasn't on the list, given how hyped it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading The Little Stranger now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amy - thanks for the recs, I just read your Lorrie Moore review. I've never heard of her before. I think the library has that one, so I'll keep my eye out for it.

    jenny - I liked The Time Traveller's Wife, but I haven't felt any great desire to look for her newest. I liked The Little Stranger, but it wasn't as strong as some of her other books.

    kailana - how is it going? I remember needing to talk to someone who had read it after I finished it because I was a bit confused.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, so nice of you to visit.

(I'll try without the letters for a while - so please dont be a spammer! Let's try no anonymous users)